Monday, September 13, 2010

The thing about the lake...


The thing about the lake is that no matter how old or young you are, it brings out the kid in you. When I was a kid, I loved going to the lake to see my cousins and my aunts and uncles. I loved playing games like "Bloody Mary" and having campfires. We loved tubing and fishing off the dock. We spent our days playing Risk and walking to Ames to get candy for our famous candy bowls. It was a beautiful place to unwind even then, and although I love the look of the light dancing off the surface of the water, and the sounds of the Bell Tower in the distance, the most endearing aspect of the lake has always been the people you share the experience with and the endless possibilities for how to spend your days.


Age has not mellowed me. You won't find me jumping in the lake to take showers these days, or having mud and seaweed wars. You won't find me tubing or skiing for the most part and you definitely won't find me playing capture the flag. Its not that there isn't a part of me that would love to embrace those things, its just that I've well...changed.

Fortunately for my boys, the lake hasn't. It still holds all the childlike possibilities that it once did. It still allows you access to beautiful places, and explorations into nature. It still has that one element that makes it endure in my heart...family.


So this past weekend the fam and I packed up and headed to the lake cottage for probably the last time. Not because we aren't going anymore, but because the cottage that stands there will soon be no more. You see after nearly thirty years my parents have come full circle, they are going to build a dream lake house. A house big enough for future generations to gather and explore, a house on a lake, made into a home by the memories it is sure to bring with it. In the past 8 years the 1,200 sq ft cottage gave so much; A beautiful view, engagements and parties, first steps, campfires, Margarita Mays, Nerf wars, boating expeditions and stall outs(Nick), bat invasions, fireworks, Texas hold' em games and Bandu. We have had up to 14 people and 5 dogs sleep inside its walls and although I despise the shower...I will miss our little bungalow in my own way.

So this weekend, I sat back and enjoyed the day while my sons soaked up some sun, and most importantly...family.


Zach(and Lennie too) was so happy to see his "Uncle Nick" and asked "Will you play with me?" Never hoping to disappoint Uncle Nick jumped into a game of rock building that Papa had enhanced. Grandma also joined in, because when her grand kids are playing, she is never far away:

Grandma also hooked Matt up with an awesome swing ride, and Dad eventually jumped in on the fun:

You see at the lake, people take you to dinner, where you get to marvel at the fish tanks:



Play on a playground set under hundred year old trees:



Master the slide:



Have a blast on the swings with your Uncle and Grandma beside you:



Take in the canal with Uncle Nick, who according to Z is the "tallest" ( he is):




Teeter Toter with your Dad:
And finish the evening with an ice cream cone with Papa:
I am pretty sure that Zach sees the lake at 2 1/2 very much like the brown haired waif of a girl I once was did(and still do)...as a place of magic and love.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my gpsh...it looks like you all had SO MUCH FUN!!! I am jealous of the great beach house. What a wonderful place for you and your boys to build memories and relive some old ones :-) I can't get over how BIG Matt looks already!!! He is like a toddler!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this!!! My inlaws are in the process of planning/building their dream beach home on some oceanfront property they bought this year. I LOVE the lake! I grew up with family lake property (no house or "cottage"!) that we all camped with our RVs at and my Grandma made us Swedish Pancakes every morning in the cabin... So many great memories have been made there and I just love the SMELL of the lake! Now, Brandon and I have our own boat and I just love it. Even if we don't go swimming or fishing or tubing... we just love to take the boat to the local lake for a couple of hours after work and chill!!!

    I can't wait for my inlaws' hosue to be done so that my kids can build tons of great memories with their cousins someday... ahhh!

    ReplyDelete

Followers