Monday, November 21, 2011

Happy 2nd Birthday Matthew!


Sometimes it seems impossible that this little baby:
Is now this 2 year old little boy:

I swear some days its seems like yesterday I was in the hospital lamenting how I was going to mother two boys under the age of two and others moments its felt like every day was two years. Truthfully those looong days usually come with an ear infection attached, but they have been far too many in the last 10 months. I am so glad that Matt was feeling well on his birthday, and so excited to see him running and playing without a care in the world. I love it when he is happy, because when Matt is smiling, its damn near impossible not to smile too. This is a wonderful quality except when he's smiling as he's jumping off of the furniture! Although I was going to post the pictures from his party, I think I will save that and talk about my baby boy instead.


Matt is a hurricane of activity. He likes to go go go, and he likes to go where he wants to go. Stubborn through and through, and sweet as can be. Matthew is a daredevil at heart, a real rough and tumble kind of boy, and he is constantly surprising us with the new words he says. Matt's best friend is definitely "brother" and try as I might to get him to call Zach by name, he still prefers to refer to him as brother. It is actually so magical to watch the two of them together....well about 80% of the time. The other 20% looks like head locks, pushing, punching, and antagonizing each other, but I'll take those odds in a sibling relationship any day! This past year has been trying on my baby, he went into daycare, had a series of ear infections, surgery, and more ear infections, and yet he always seems to try to make the most out of his days. He is obsessed with Sesame Street, and only recently started watching television for any length of time.


At two Matt is taller than his brother was... and just now getting any sort of substantial hair. He is charming and cuddly, and he loves to be "uppie" I sometimes say he is my two year old three month old, because he wants to be held more now than he ever did as a baby. Matt is trying hard to learn all of the big boy ways. He drinks out of cups, can undress himself, tries to put his shoes on, demands to sit at the table, walk in the stores, and be independent whenever he can. He enjoys building a lot and play-doh immensely, and he is one to "colour" whenever he gets the chance. His favorite activities are dancing in the kitchen and singing in the car to Laurie Berkner songs, his favorite of which is "oh ah" as he calls it. If Matt can be outside he's happy, and if he can be swinging he's thrilled. He really loves slides, balloons and bubbles, and trying to play catch or his own game which involves throwing balls in the air, and having them bop him on the head.


For the most part Matt is easy-going when he's well. He's demanding, but worth it. I know he is head-strong, determined, and smart. I can't imagine what this next year holds as far as his development, except to say that as he start to talk more and more we all better watch out. He will definitely speak his mind, but I doubt he will talk constantly, only because he likes to listen, access, and then take charge. Matt is adorable, and shy at times. He doesn't love to be the center of attention like Zach, unless its in his own home or his comfort zones. He likes to explore, and he likes to push limits. Some of this is his age, other aspects are his personality. He constantly does silly things and asks "I funny Momma" which is super sweet even when what he is doing is trying to climb on the kitchen table. Matthew is my baby boy, and no matter how old he becomes, he will always have the most impressive dimples and breathtaking smile. He is impossible to stay angry at long, and he is sweet in all the best ways. He is loving and giving, and concerned about the people he loves. I am so proud of the little man he is, and while he can be challenging at times, there will never be a moment that I don't feel blessed by having had the honor of being his Momma! Happy 2nd birthday Matthew! I am so excited to watch you grow and learn, and so lucky to be able to relish in your charm! I love you!


1 comment:

  1. Happy birthday to your sweet, ADORABLE baby boy!! I can't believe our sweet babies are TWO!!!! Time is going to fast :-( This was a sweet post Amy. It even made me tear up a little.

    ReplyDelete

Followers