Saturday, December 3, 2011

The Holiday Hustle and Bustle!

There is something so magical about the Holiday Season. Maybe its the lights that sparkle in and around the houses, or maybe its the excitement I see in Zach's eyes everytime Santa is mentioned. (Matt is still a little too young to get the full understanding) Actually, I am trying to convey the real meaning of Christmas to Zach this year- that this season is about more than presents under your tree. Its tricky stuff- religion and kids. Sometimes I feel I've waited too long to take them to church, other times I think that Zach's already creative mind might be overwhelmed by too much information. I mean the kid had me explaining where blood is in our bodies this morning.

Anyways, I just love this time of year. I love watching all of the classic Christmas cartoons I watched as a kid. I love curling up on the couch nestled under a blanket with my hubby, and a warm cup of hot cocoa in my hand. I love the way the first snow sparkles in the sunlight, and I love watching Zach and Matt trying to catch snowflakes on their tongues. I love the week long reprieve I get from my job as a teacher, and cherish waking up to morning after morning when my priority for the day can be completely focused on being Mom. I love that every day is filled with anticipation, and everyone is so much kinder. I love the way people find charity for others this month, even if they live all 11 other months in oblivion. I love the songs on the radio, and dancing in my kitchen with my boys. I love the promise of seeing family often, and the smells of Christmas cookies baking in the oven. I love the taste of those cookies a whole bunch too. I love the idea of taking a drive to look at Christmas lights with the boys, and the prospect of building our first real snowman together. I love it, I love it, I love it.

And yet this month is constant hustle and bustle. I know I have a million moments plotted in my head that probably will have to wait. I have tried to finish all my shopping before December struck, and for the most part I did. So I will not be out in holiday lines, I will not be panicked that a package will not arrive in time, I will not be spending my December evening online shopping instead of snuggling. I will not be involved in that hustle and bustle. Instead my hustle and bustle will be making sure Christmas cards get sent, gifts get wrapped, cookies get made, family traditions are carried out.

But the most important thing I will do this month is hustle and bustle to make sure my boys feel the magic of this season. I will take them to the Christmas parties, I will take them to see lights, I will tell them stories every night, and watch a million movies I'v seen a million times before. I will sing the same Christmas song 30 times a day, I will let them frost cookies, even though they will mostly frost themselves. I will take them to festivals, and out in the snow, even though I have always hated being cold. I will hide our elf Durley every night, even though most days I am so tired, that its the last thing I want to do before bed. I will talk about Jesus and hope that they learn it, and I will listen to their hopes for what Santa might bring them. I will try to capture all of these moments, and record them for them. I will take them to spend time with family and friends, and I will continue to encourage them to be kind. I will do the extra shopping for their teachers, and I will bring treats to their class. I will remember to listen to them, to stop the hustle and bustle of the world, and sit with them and be present. I will be their playmate, their teacher, their champion, their nurturer, and this month their Santa. Some people might not like the hustle and bustle of the season, but I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers