Sunday, December 4, 2011

Toys for Boys- Our Top 20!

I kid you not, my sons have a lot of toys. I mean they are everywhere in the house. They are in baskets, they are in bins, they are upstairs, downstairs, outside and in! It is sometime overwhelming especially when they tend to play with all the things that aren't "toys", or in ways that the toys were not designed to be played with. Creative, definitely! Frustrating, sometimes! There are hundreds and yes I DO MEAN HUNDREDS of toys in my home. (I am counting all of the Little People individually of course!) Its funny, but when I go to put something away, Zach and Matt decide that they really want to play with that toy. Funny...or they are both genius! With Santa and grandparent and auntie and uncle santas on the way, it is time for some major reshuffling. I know that we are about to get an influx of new toys, but all of the following are stables around our home. They are the toys that both boys flock to on a regular basis, and when you have hundreds of toys to choose from I'd say that makes them very special.









The Fisher Price IXL-



Both Zach at four, and Matt at two play with this toy. I like that it is educational, they like that they can "read" books and paint pictures. Sometimes I think they just like that it plays music too. The only downfall to this toy is that the batteries need to be replaced often from too much use!









Melissa and Doug Puzzles-







I have always been a fan of Melissa and Doug toys. I have a lot of the chunky wood puzzles, but Zach prefers these now. I think the images are beautiful and the boys really enjoy trying to put them together. This is not quite a toy that either boy can do completely by himself, but I look at that as a plus rather than a minus






The Fisher Price Town





I have had this toy since Z was one. He has played with it in many ways throughout the years. He and Matt both enjoy putting the "apples" into the tree which counts to them. I really like that they both can play with it at the same time. It seems simple in design, but there are songs, and games to play, and best of all it fold away for easy storage!



Angry Bird Plush-




I always loved stuffed animals as a kid, and my boys seem to be following suit. While Matt loves to walk around with his Elmo, both boys find it fun to throw these birds all around the house and at each other. They hide them everywhere, and Zach will even set up pillows and try to kill the pigs.




Geo Trax-





There is something fascinating about trains to little boys. While the boys have a great collection of Thomas the train toys, lately they have seemed more interested in trains that they can control rather than push. I know that they will be excited this Christmas when they add to their Geo trax collection








Imaginarium train table-



I love this train table. Ironically it sits in my living room/aka playroom almost like a coffee table. The set is gorgeous and so worth the money. I had to put the set away for awhile, because Matt was tearing apart the track everyday, but the boys still use the table for the trains, or trucks. I have caught them trying to use it as a dance floor too...see what I mean about toys being used in ways they are not intended.



Tonka trucks-






Trucks in general seem to be a big hit these days with the boys. The great thing about this truck is that is large enough for the boys to push around without by bending over instead of crawling on the floor. This truck is great too because the ladders some out, but be careful sometimes that leads to ladder fights. Honestly if you have two sons, I recommend getting two of these trucks. My boys seems to fight a lot these days over who had this toy first. I certainly hope that getting another big toy truck of somekind is on Santa's list!






Sport Balls/Bouncy balls-



There is a reason that sports are a billion dollar industry, and I have a pretty good understanding that it stems from a boys love of balls! Seriously some of the most played with things in our house are plastic balls we picked up for a dollar. The boys love playing catch, and they also like learning about how to play sports. If you have a little boy to buy for these season, trust me, they will love a ball. I don't know why, they just do!








Play-Doh-



Matt recently got this set for his birthday from his Aunt Penny and both of the boys really love it. They are Play doh fanatics, and while I hate cleaning it up, I love that they are amused and creative for 20 minute stretches of time. It is a great activity for dinner making time, because it keeps them in the kitchen with me, but also allows them the freedom to create. My one piece of advice though is be sure to buy plah-doh scissors...just be sure you have one pair for each kid. Oh and if you don't want all brown playdoh...only give them one color at a time!





Rock and Roll Elmo-



I have to say my boys love all animated toys. They have a Hulk, a Mickey Mouse, and two Elmo dolls and they really play with them all. My parents got Matt this beauty for his birthday, and it is super cool. He likes to sing the ABC's with him and also play one of the extra instruments. If your kids like to sing and dance like mine do, this is a great toy!


A play kitchen with grill -





I am so glad that I bought a play kitchen for Zach when he turned 1. It has been one of the greatest toy purchases I've made. My husband fought me a bit claiming that a boy didn't need a play kitchen, but compromised on getting one with a manly grill! HA! Seriously the boys really like playing with this toy, and often take the basket liners and put them on their heads as chef hats. They like to bring us lunch, or grill up everything in the fridge! Even if you have all sons, I would say, buy a kitchen...this thing gets used at least once a day!

Play food with velcro-


When you get a play kitchen don't forget to buy some food to stock the pantry. One of my favorite sets has velcro that attaches the food together, it makes a really cool sound when you cut the vegetables. Also I prefer the plastic food to the wood food, only because my boys have been known to have a few food fights!



Nerf guns-
Belive it or not, my boys love nerf guns! I know shocking right? I am surprised with how capable they both are at loading the guns and figuring out how to cock the gun- Matt needs some help. These toys have created a lot of wonderful Daddy/son moments. I think the boys like them so much because Wayne loves to pull them out when we are outside, or inside and things need a little bit of action!







Board Games/Action Games





This game is one of the boys favorites. They love to take the fish out and play with them. We don't necessarily follow the directions, but they both can play together, and they both seem to really like that the game is interactive. Lately Zach has been more and more interested in games, and Matt is always close behind. Another big favorite in our home is the Angry Bird Game. The boys just like to play with the birds for the most part, although Z likes setting up the blocks too!






Lego Duplo Sets-





Kids need blocks. We have a lot of cool kinds. We have Bristle Blocks and Mega blocks, but the boys seem to really enjoy the Lego Duplo blocks. They are big enough that both can manipulate them and they come in some really cool sets. One of the boys favorites is this fire station set. They like the little cars and people that come with them, and also the siren!



Play tent-
Every kid needs a fort/hideout! These cool little tents set up in seconds and they allow the boys to feel like they are hiding. Our current tent is too small for both the boys, so this Christmas one of the other Santas are getting them a bigger one! They will be so thrilled I'm sure, and I can only imagine they will spent hours playing together inside.


Superhero toys-
If you have sons, chances are you have superhero toys. Zach loves them all, especially the Hulk and Matt even knows them by name now. Playskool makes some really cute sets. The boys like to add these heros everywhere around the house. They often are found tucked away in vehicles I find in the kitchen or under the Christmas tree!



Imaginext Batcave-

We have a lot of great Imaginext toys, but the favorite by far seems to be this Batcave. Maybe its the fact that the Superheros have a home, or maybe its because there are cool nooks to hide guys in. Whatever the reason, this is one of Z's favorites!

Musical toys- The Bee Bop Band


This toy is the one that started it all. Both of the boys love musical instruments and now we have plenty. Not only do they still play with this set, but it inspired Z to get a drum set, and Grandma Alice to buy them a baby grand toy piano! We love our musical instruments, and if you are looking for a musical toy to give a child over 12 months this would be my recommendation!



The Ipad 2-


No this is not the boys toy technically, but if you do have one, download some apps and let the kids play. Both of the kids love reading books on the Ipad and playing word and matching games. It can be a great educational tool, and in this tech savvy world, its important to teach your kids how to use and gather information. We also love our itouch because its portable and it is our main source for our dance music.



So there you have it...20 of our most used toys. I should disclaim that both of my boys love to look at books too, but I think I will save those for a separate post!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers