Sunday, February 6, 2011

The end of a very long week...

Tonight I am so excited, after being gone for six days, Wayne is home! The past week has been hectic. Not only did I return to work after being out for 15 months, but I was also on my own every night with the kids, all night. Thanks to my parents I didn't have to drag the kids to daycare at the crack of dawn, and they ended up watching them four out of the five weekdays, so that I didn't need to add the emotional drama of that to the week. I will never forget what they did for me this week. I think one more straw might have broke this camel's back.

The idea that your partner is away on a luxury vacation while you are home manning the fort is one that most people would cringe at. The fact that technically it was called a work vacation didn't ease the bitterness I felt when he was at the pool bar and I was scrambling for sanity. I know that the week took its toll on both of us, but next time I'd rather be the one on Spring Break...ah I mean a work trip. Unfortunately I don't see an opportunity for travel in my career so I guess I will just have to hope that every once in awhile I will be able to go too, and pray that if I can't his bosses don't ask that he go. Too bad, when your boss asks you, I mean implies that you really should do something, your hands are kind of tied. I guess the fact that they are tied onto an alcoholic beverage, great food, and snokeling gear all week makes the demand a little more bearable.

I can honestly say after a week of going it on my own, with a ton of help from my family, and a lot of support from my friends, I would not want to be a single parent. This week has asked that I dig deep, and I did. I am proud of what I accomplished this week. I was not always at the top of my game, but I came out with a better understanding of who I am, even if the journey wasn't pretty sometimes. Revelations... I am capable of being on my own, but I'm thankful I'm not. I am a good teacher, and quite capable in the classroom, I love my kids, and will be thrilled once they are school aged and I don't have the mommy guilt, I am a work in progress but no matter how unpolished I am people love me through it.

I may need another week to get my head together, but I hope when I return, you will be here to share in my story.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers