Friday, February 11, 2011

To my big brother...

I can't believe my big brother is 36 today. I swear sometimes I look at him and can still see that blond mop of hair, with a smile that always came out even in the trickiest of situations. Looking back, I remember that my brother was always loving, always a lot of fun. He liked to organize games for us to play, and my sister and I used to drop everything if he wanted us to play Matchbox cars with him, or join in on a good game of Transformers. I remember how safe his presence always made me feel, and that I felt so lucky to have a big brother looking out for me.

Sure we had times that we drove each other nuts, or maybe even out onto the rooftop. But when I think of my childhood I think of my siblings most of all. I think about how we stuck together, and how we talked and laughed. I think about the fact that my brother was sweet, and sometimes devious, that he was funny, and often kind. I think about his energy for exploring, his imagination, his genuine zest for life. I think about his outbursts, his stunts, his accomplishments. Looking back I think a lot about how lucky I've been to see him evolve.

Relationships are tricky, especially between siblings. My brother and I don't always see eye to eye. We tend to get along, but sometimes I annoy him to no end, and sometimes he frustrates me beyond anyone else I've ever known. He is stubborn, I am stubborn. He is confident, I am confident. He is loyal, I am loyal. He is tender at heart. I am temder at heart. Sometimes I wonder just how much of who I am has been shaped by him. I know growing up I felt lucky to have him as my brother. I also know that today I feel even more lucky to have him as a friend.

Nick, I am so glad that I had a big brother to look up to. I am even more glad that that brother was you. I am also very blessed that my sons' have an Uncle that they adore, who always is willing to play Superheroes with them, and wrestle. I remember today how special your attention always made me feel, and I am so glad to know that they will feel it too. Happy birthday to my big brother, the only boy so far I've had the pleasure of watching grow up! I love you, enjoy your day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers