Monday, March 28, 2011

Hiding out...



I think it might be the fact that it is almost April, and there is still snow on the ground, but the boys have been hiding out a lot lately. Every evening it seems that the two of them are off, packing "food" and toys and heading to the "Cave". I must say, sometimes all I can do is laugh when I see four feet poking out under a mound of blue and yellow. It reminds me a bit of that weird scene in The Wizard of Oz where the house lands on the witch and all that is left is her feet. Actually, can you even tell in this photo that there are two boys inside?


If you head into the cave, you will find these two playing, in their own special way.


Usually it involves Mattie picking something up, Zach saying, "Hey, that's mine!" and taking if from his brother. A comment that always involves some Mom intervention, and a discussion on sharing and finding other toys to play with. Since he's gotten so used to wanting what his brother has, Zach has discovered that if he really wants something Matt has, he can usually trade him. He'll take the watermelon from his hand, and quickly leave an orange in it's place, with a quick, "Here you go Mattie!" and neither of them seem phased by the exchange.



To say that watching these two play together brings me joy is an understatement. It truly makes me down right giddy! I love that they have each other, and I also think that out of everyone in their lives, no one will ever take the place of their siblings.


Its their days of hiding out that remind me of the blanket forts my brother and sister and I used to build. I remember feeling like a team when we played together then, and in their own way, I think Matt and Z feel that way too. Maybe that's why I get kicked out for being too big! Whatever it is...I just love that they make the most of each day, and that they find time to relax and appreciate each other. It is so much easier when they are playing together instead of fighting over which one should play with what, and pushing and swatting at the others' head. Can you guess which one does what?


Siblings...you have to love them, even when they drive you crazy, because in the end, we are all truly blessed to have them!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers