Sunday, July 17, 2011

Piercing Princesses
















As the mother of two boys I have not had to ask myself when or if I would get their ears pierced. For me, princes don't need earrings, especially if those princes live in my house. Nearly two years ago when I found out that my sister was having a little girl, and a few months later, that my BFF Jenn was also expecting a bundle of pink, I started thinking of all the girlie things I would do with them. You see the next best thing to having a daughter of your own is having your sisters have daughters, all of the frills, less of the drama :)




One of the things I really wanted to be a part of was getting the girls' ears pierced. My Aunt Micki did it for my sister, who is her goddaughter,(I also got my ears pierced that day because I hopped into the chair right after, and insisted that the lady do mine too) and I wanted to pass along the tradition to the girls. For some reason I thought 1st birthday. Why not, they won't remember the pain if they are little, and so many more years of cute accessories. I asked the Moms, who asked the Dads, and plans were made.


So today I set off with just my girls;


My niece Emma:




And my niece Averie:
Aren't they the sweetest? Seriously these girls are so great to be around, they just adore each other. At one point during our pre-piercing lunch Emma was feeding Averie...so sweet! (It was also really cute because they matched today, and that was totally accidental!)


We enjoyed a really delicious lunch, and I got a pic of two of my favorite Moms with their girls:

After a relaxing lunch with the girls, we headed over to pick out their earrings. The girls were very anxious to tell us which ones they likes best.
They posed for a pre-piercing pic with me. I wasn't sure they would want to talk to me after...



And then it was piercing time. Averie did really well while they marked her ears, although she was a bit nervous...biting her lip and all!
In five seconds the job was done, and Averie had some more sparkle...a few tears were shed Thanks to her binkie, some stashed snacks by Mom, and a lot of love and cuddles, Averie was fine in less than a minute: Can you see her cute new little studs?
Next up, Emma took the seat, and at first seemed in fine spirits:


But then the ladies tried to mark her ears for positioning, and she freaked. It was a short lived struggle, and after a quick moment of pain, and a few tears the whole ordeal was over:



































































I'm pretty sure my sister's face here, is like, "Great idea Amy, thank God that's over"



Within a minute, everyone seemed calmed and happy that the girls had a little more glitz in their lives.

My little princesses posed for a post- piercing photo

We even did a little show shopping, and then headed for home.


These girls both proved today, that they might be princesses, but that doesn't mean they can't be superheros too! I was so proud of you all, especially you Mommies! Thank you ladies for letting me spoil you with jewels...I plan on doing it a lot in your future. I am already plotting a kid spa outing when you are old enough. I just love my girls days out, and the two additions that I am lucky enough to call my nieces.
























































1 comment:

  1. Was searching for my GF’s blog and came across yours. Started reading and came to the entry where you had your both of your niece's dd's ears pierced at a year old. Think you’re a smart mommy for piercing their ears early saving them from the angst of having it done when they wanted it done, but might not care for them properly.

    At this age, their moms will care for them and they will just up thinkg the earrings are a part of them! Promise they’ll thank Aunt Amy when the other little girls in preschool see their pretty earrings and are envious. You'll be the heroine for encouraging your sisters to have their dd's ears pierced as infants.

    When I took our dd to her 2 mos appt and shots, her pediatrician asked me if we were getting her ears pierced…I was thinking maybe around 2 or 3. She then told me that the best time is now or when she is out of the toddler/preschool stage. She said that little toddlers and preschoolers come in with infections because they constantly play with them and it is harder for them to sit still to let the parents clean the ears.

    Admittedly, I hadn’t even thought about it so I called dh who said if the ped recommended it, then it was fine to go ahead.

    Subconsciously, I secretly knew I wanted her ears pierced, but didn’t think dh would want it done so young. Also, I had been admiring some of the babies and cute little girls in the ped’s waiting room with little earrings and wondered how Sandi would look with them. In a spur of the moment decision, I told the ped’s nurse I wanted to have her ears pierced today! She gave us some tips for "Care of Newly Pierced Ears." They do lots of infants so they actually had a sheet for moms ready.

    So….we decided to do it at 2 months. She cried when we got them done, but as soon as I stood up with her and we walked to the register she
    had stopped!! She is even more adorable with little earrings in her cute little ears! Our dd is now 4 and loves her earrings.

    Am having a second dd soon and plan to pierce her ears at 4-6 wks. I think little babies with pierced earrings celebrates their femininity and femaleness. After all, they are little girls, right?

    Promise the girls will thank you later for keeping up the tradition of little girls in your family like you and your sisters having their ears pierced early.

    If any moms would like our ped’s tips, write me an e-mail.

    Amyswor@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete

Followers