Tuesday, November 9, 2010

1st Birthday Party Recap...

Sometimes I forget how hectic throwing a party can be. Especially when you have 40 adults and 18 children all in the same space. Sometimes I forget how to savor how special that moment is, that so many people take time out of their daily lives to celebrate the life of the baby you brought into the world. It really was a truly special day, even if I almost forgot to take pictures and video.
The party was not really a one day event, but rather a weekend of activity:


Friday- Although it was our 5th anniversary, Wayne and I spent the day gearing up for the 1st party in our new home...the 1st birthday party in honor of our baby. (Wayne did sneak in giving me a wedding bell charm for my Pandora and a beautiful pair of earrings)Wayne did a ton of cleaning, while I tidied up and baked the cake. Friday night, my sister came over and helped me put the cake together. Ok. I actually helped her. At one point in our 4-5 hour cake prep process, I really thought we were done for. That was when the dinosaur's cake head fell off. My sister, never one to panic, told me she would make one out of fondant. Of course you will Li, doesn't everyone know how to sculpt a dinosaur head in minutes? Sure enough she saved the cake! In fact even though it was a tedious process at times, I really enjoyed spending that time with my sis, without kids, apparently she enjoyed it too, since I am now hired to assist with Emma's 1st birthday cake, a princess palace! In the end we were really proud of our cake, and I absolutely loved the fondant fish that my sister sculpted! It is so nice having talented family. Here are some shots of the cake. In case you can't tell the dinosaur in on sand(ground up golden Oreo), while he is fishing by the lake:

Saturday- The morning flew by as we tried to get the house together, decorate, and take care of the kids.Here are some of the decorations:Fortunately my Mom came over early to entertain the boys, or Wayne and I might have answered the door in sweats.(Can you spy Zach in one of the next four pics?)


This little guy was dressed in his My 1st birthday onesie,
and was in pretty good spirits as long as he was being held:
He had a blast playing with Grandma on the horse that she and Papa bought him. Yes you read that right, she bought him a horse, a Radio Flyer kind, but a horse none the less.
Good thing I just got a bigger house. Otherwise "Liberty" would have to be stabled at Grandma's.

As the party progressed the kids had a blast, everyone enjoyed the food, and Matt grew increasingly overwhelmed and tired. Here are a few of the kids playing our party game:

By the time dinner was over, and it was time for cake. Matt had already been melting down for an hour. I swear the poor boy was crying between bites of his dinner, which is sooooooooooooo not like him.

He fluctuated between tears and smiles until it was cake time. He loved everyone singing to him!




By the time Matt got to eating his cake, he was fried. I hear tell that my sister in law has a happy picture of Matt eating his cake, but this is what I captured:



Needless to say, after dessert, Matt went straight to bed, and Mom got the pleasure of opening all of his fabulous and generous gifts. I love how frazzled I look in this pic...even I was intimidated by the mountain of gifts this boy got!


I would have had his brother help me, but that boy was MIA most of the party, whisked up in playing with all his cousins and friends, and couldn't be bothered to help little old me. At least my cousin captured a pic of him...just looked at the flushed cheeks from all his running.


Matt really enjoyed waking up and playing with his toys, although I think Zach still thinks they are his.

Thanks to everyone who was able to join us for the festivities especially my sister in law Lisa who made perfect chocolate cupcakes which were super tasty, my mother in law Alice who spoiled Matt silly, and my parents for their help in the prep work, the new kids table that was put to use, and the over the top horse that I have been not so secretly cursing. (Although the boys love it) I also want to thank my sister for helping me pull off the cake, my husband for cleaning all the bathrooms and floors(pretty much the house), Ryan,Olivia, Grant and Alice for coming again Sunday to help us eat some of the leftovers, and everyone who attended for their time and generosity. It was a great 1st birthday party, which is good, because he doesn't get a do over! I do think though I will try to take some pics on his actual birthday of him opening his gifts from us, and putting his hands in his cake. So I guess that's a sort of mini do over. Only a few weeks and my baby is officially a toddler! WOW!

1 comment:

  1. Awesome cake!!! WOWzers! That took some time & dedication, for sure! I hope your little mane is a little less overwhelmed at his birthday "do-over" haha! All of these pictures are a great reminder for him when he gets older that he had a fabulous party for his 1st birthday though!

    ReplyDelete

Followers