Thursday, November 11, 2010

Vices...

We all have them. Lately I just keep spending money. I know I know its the holiday season...who isn't? Unfortunately not all of the things I am buying are on the "list" and they are all not for children or family who have been good all year long. Lately my vice has been prepping for my 1st Christmas in the new home. I have all of these big dreams and the Pottery Barn catalog is not helping one bit. I just love Christmas. I always have. Perhaps its because my parents always made the day and the weeks leading up to it so magical. Damn you Mom and Dad.


One of my favorite things to do while I was living at home was help my Mom put up the 12 foot tree and decorate it. I loved stringing the lights on and reminiscing as we hung the ornaments. I also loved driving around on Christmas Eve and looking at all of the lights on the houses, dreaming of the day I'd have my own home to decorate. At night I'd look forward to basking in the soft glow of the lights as I sat on the couch in the chilly evening. When we were little my sister and I used to warm our feet on the hearth of the fire(real then) and look up under the tree to see a million little colored lights floating above our heads like little stars. Are you seeing it yet? I have a serious Christmas decorating issue.


When I moved into my first apartment with my best friend Jenn, I spend over a thousand dollars on decorations. Yes you read that right. Our 700 sq ft apartment looked like Christmas had literally exploded inside it. I had lights everywhere, garland, glitter snowflakes hanging from the ceiling and I even wrapped all of the wall art with paper and bows. It was gaudy, but I loved it!


Since then, I've toned it down a bit, collecting a few things here and there, and working with what I've had for the past few years. I no longer go over the top in the house, because well, the kids destroy it. A tree, some stockings and some tasteful decorations I've gathered over the years sprinkle the house. This year I am fighting the urge to buy a ton of stuff to put on my mantle. You see, this is my first year having a mantle, and it is pretty exciting to envision how pretty it would be with lighted garland, and new sparkly candles, and cute sequined stockings created/purchased with love. I can envision the Christmas frames and the new stocking holders, but I am fighting it people I swear.


Instead I have dedicated my thoughts and money to the outdoor decor. Obviously since my new house is almost double the size of my last, I needed more outdoor lights. Naturally, I also just had to buy some timers and clickers to turn the things on as easily as possible, and of course I need new bows for my lights, since I've gone from two to four. See all of this is reasonable, sound, sane. Where things have gotten a little out of control is my need for new lawn decorations. I don't want to go over the top, but I have always wanted a light up sleigh with reindeer. When I say always, I mean for the last five years, as I've stared at my old neighbor's house. Well a new neighborhood, in my eyes means potential to get that sleigh without looking like a copy cat. Sure my next door neighbor might have one too, but how was I supposed to know, this is my first Christmas here! You see my point, clean slate.


So I searched and searched and I was able to find this beauty at The Home Depot:



BUT...



Of course one reindeer wasn't going to be enough to pull my sleigh, so I ordered a 2nd because I NEEDED it. I have to say after putting the set together, I just hope they last through the wintry gusts and snowfall of the Northeast, because they aren't exactly made out of steel, but I love them!



Then tonight on a quick outing to get zip ties and stakes, I ended up coming home with a new lighted tree for the porch. This time I got something similar to this little stunner at Lowe's:

Of course I needed two of these as well...unfortunately, or fortunately, they were sold out, so I'll have to check back for the 2nd in a few weeks.

At this point even I have to hold a buyer's intervention. I am cutting myself off from buying anymore outdoor decor, and am even going to hold off on getting new items for my windows. Every girl has a limit and I've hit mine for this season at least. From now on I am sticking to the list of presents for others, and the house will have to wait...unless of course I find something just perfect for going on my lights, since the bows I got were a failure. See, loopholes people, loopholes.

One thing is for sure, after enduring this post. I will be sure to post some pics of the finished product for you. And Wayne if you are reading, I do swear that I won't come home with six bags again when I was going out for one...well at least not with Holiday decor in them! :)

3 comments:

  1. Oh Amy...we are like long lost BFFs. I never answered your question from my blog...but I will be decorating this weekend. Honestly, I would have started this week if Blake wouldn't have gotten sick again. But you better believe my tree will be up by Sunday. Haha! I LOVE the reindeer and sleigh you bought for the yard. SO adorable. I can't wait to see pictures of your house all decorated. I just know it is going to be beautiful. So glad I have a fellow Christmas lover :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sad days... I LOVE Christmas also... but I know I'm not going to get to be as "into it" this year. School is my main priority and it is such a time suck! But next year? Its on! This year I will have to settle for my porch lights, REAL TREE and Christmas music! :o) it doesn't really sound like settling when I put it that way... ha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chelsi- I have never had a REAL tree. I have always thought it would be fabulous to head out into the snow and pick my own tree. A total Griswald's moment you know. Maybe one day, as it is I have to gate my tree this year since Matt is into everything and doesn't understand NO, or at least pretends that he doesn't. Hopefully the rest of your school year flies by fast, and you are free to decorate decorate and decorate more next year!

    ReplyDelete

Followers