Wednesday, May 11, 2011

One for the record books...

Today has not been a good day. It has been a scary and hectic one. If I hadn't just gone through it I probably wouldn't believe it myself.(If the sight of blood makes you queasy this is not the post for you)





See this:





and this:


That is nothing compared to what we saw today. You see this little guy:


That blood, is from his tongue! Yes I said tongue!



Today we took Lennie's to a different groomers since his current groomer was booked until June. He was really getting straggly and it was really get hot, so we made the appointment. Apparently, at one point they tried to shave his face...this is strange in and of itself, but when he freaked out, they decided to switch to scissors. Then the unthinkable happened, somehow Lennie's tongue got sliced by the scissors. So his tongue started to bleed...a lot. I am so ticked at this place because they didn't even call us to tell us. Wayne went to get Lennie and was told Lennie couldn't go home right then. They were trying to get the bleeding to stop. Wayne saw Lennie and the bleeding started right up again. For whatever reason, he followed the groomer's advice and said he would be back to get him in a few hours. When I found out I freaked. I mean seriously blood, scissors, tongue...my poor baby. My thought was I have to get him to the vet. So out of school I stormed, destination Lennie. I arrived at the groomer's only to find that no one was there. I was livid. Here was my dog injured and they'd just left him alone. I made an angry phone call, telling someone to come and let me get my dog, and the lady told me she was in a bind because she had just gotten out of the shower. Could I come back at 3! NO WAY...you live 25 feet from the place. Get dressed and get me my dog. I didn't say that, but I did say, get someone here to get me my dog, he has a vet apt, and I left work to get him. She did send some one, but it took her 20 minutes to get there. By the time I got to Lennie I was so worked up. He looked ok. He had blood on his face, and on his paws, and I could see the blood in the cage he had been in. I just wanted to get him out of there.



Unfortunately, they wanted their money and all I had was a debit card. They wouldn't give me my dog until I paid them for butchering his tongue. I rushed home(5 minutes away) got a check and returned for my pet. The lady there assured me that she had raised a bunch of dogs, that he was fine, that the bleeding had stopped, and that all was ok. I wanted to believe her, but more than anything I just wanted to get out of there. Lennie was so happy to get to the car, and seemed in such good spirits, I called the vet and said I was going to take a wait and see approach...BIG MISTAKE!



We were home for 40 minutes when I noticed the drops of blood across my kitchen floor, on my rugs, and all over Lennie's face. I started to panic, so the vet was called, a trip with all four of us was made. One of us needed to hold Lennie's bleeding mouth while the other drove. We arrived and that is when things went from bad to worse.



Lennie must have gotten excited or nervous to be there and that blood just started flowing. By the end of waiting in the waiting room for 5 minutes, there was basically a puddle of blood drops surrounding me. By the time we saw the Dr. Lennie's exam room look like something out of CSI. It was scary. I hate that I couldn't help him. I hated that he'd been hurt, and I hated that he was freaked out.



As soon as the Dr. walked through the door he looked at me, the blood covered floor and at Lennie's bloody face, and said,"Well this isn't right is it?" I was so relieved that Lennie was finally in the right hands that I started to relax. That was until the Dr said, "Well this is really difficult to get to close up, mostly because of a dog's activity. He needed to sedate Lennie, and then assess if he would have to stitch up his tongue. "Lennie" he explained "Will be staying the night with me." Break my heart, my dog has never been away overnight unless it was to a relatives house. I was devastated, but I knew he needed help.



I am happy to report that Lennie is doing better. Last I heard he'd come out of sedation and was up and active. The Dr. said that so far the cut has coagulated, but that it will need to be watch till at least tomorrow afternoon. Supposedly this 4 mm cut, which wasn't quite long enough to stitch bleed so much because it nicked a vein in his tongue. He will be alright, unfortunately, he may just lose a little piece of his tongue. My poor sweet natured Lennie. Please say a prayer for him tonight, that he is home tomorrow, safe and sound.

2 comments:

  1. Wow Amy! That is just ridiculous! The vet should be sued! I can't imagine the day you had, but I'm thinking of you and poor little Lennie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG!!!! I have been lost out of blogland lately.... but AMY!!!!! I would have totally flipped a lid about this! I think you acted very appropriately and cannot believe this crazy lady tried to brush it off!!! I'm sorry, but when it comes to my animals they are my children! I'm sure when I have children they'll get shoved to the back burner but I treat them like children and if Im watching my nephew and he get a goose egg or something you better believe I'm letting my SIL know! I'm sorry you had to go through this... :( And I'm sorry Wayne was in a car accident! Sheesh! I hope he feels better soon! And HI to you! I bet you're excited to spend the summer w/your boys soon!!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Followers