Saturday, November 14, 2009

Such a big boy...

As I sit here waiting day after day for the arrival of my next baby boy, I am constantly struck by the little boy who; zips from one room to the next, asks for a cup of milk and says, "Thank you Mama!", asks for certain toys or books to be played with, sits and turns the pages of his goodnight stories all while pointing out the interesting parts. This little boy runs to the window to show me the moon, a star, a school bus, or a garbage truck, or just to see what Lennie is barking at. He is constantly mastering the English language, repeating sentences he hears, and melting our hearts with words like, "Love you Mom!" And that is just the thing. Lately I've noticed some major changes in this little boy whose dimpled smile lights my world. He calls me Mom, not Mama most of the time, and he loves to sing and dance, only now he is singing along and using the words. (I mean seriously, he is reciting parts of his ABC's and he isn't even two!)He loves to help out by following directions, or going and getting people's shoes for them, and he recognizes roads to places that he loves to visit, like Grandma's house. To say he amazes me everyday would be an understatement, and yet with each moment of progress in his childhood, my heart breaks to see his babyhood slipping away.



Perhaps its the hormones, or the fact that I am still in awe that I will have two little people to adore soon, but I can't help but look at Zach and feel blessed that I got to experience each day with him, these final weeks of us alone will always feel like a gift. And even though my son brings wonder to every day, I was stunned when he went and got his booster seat and asked to sit in it and eat breakfast yesterday morning. He didn't want to go into the highchair, perhaps he senses it wasn't meant to be his much longer, but he wanted to make the shift to the table with Mom and Dad. He was ready to be a big boy... and he was smart enough to tell us about it. Just look at him sitting in his new big boy seat eating his morning snack:



Isn't he just darling? I still can't believe that less than 2 years ago I was sitting around waiting to meet this little guy, and I get to do it all over again. Am I sad in some ways that my baby Zach is now a big boy? Of course! Does my heart fill with pride with each milestone he reaches? You bet! And finally....Do I wish this post was about Zach being potty-trained? ABSOLUTELY! But I guess we can't expect all growing up to happen in one day! What would be the fun in that?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers