Saturday, November 28, 2009

So much to say...

I promised that I would write more about the hospital and Matt's Birthday a few days ago. I also wanted to recap the story of Zach meeting Matt for the first time. So this is my attempt at tying in the loose ends of the last week.

Matt's birth story:

I went into the hospital at 6 a.m. on Saturday morning. My two trusted coaches(my Mom and Wayne) were by my side the entire labor and they were a great help. They made the hours seem to go by, and when I was at my lowest, they kept the faith and reminded me of what I was working towards. I will always remember that they were there, and that they rubbed my back and talked me through the contractions. My Mom would say I was silent again, so unlike my personality, but I was listening... I really took to listening after the c-section word came up again, and so I went into myself to listen. I listened as my mother and Wayne offered encouragement, I listened for my body to respond the way it needed to, I listened to my son's heartbeat on the monitor and prayed it didn't decelerate after contractions, I listened for God's voice inside my head to comfort me...and I found it. I went within, and in the end all was well. I have been blessed twice with two wonderful sons, and aside from emotional labors, I have been blessed twice with relatively easy postpartum recoveries. This time I was fortunate enough to push for three minutes instead of the three hours it took to get Zach into the world!



Once Matt was born I was allowed to revel in his cuteness for an hour before he was carted away for testing. It was then that I finally got to see the face of the 2nd little boy I had brought into this world, and I was in awe. I can't believe how beautiful my children are...inside and out! It truly is a special time when you have just given birth, to hold your child, and to watch as loved ones clamor to see and hold that sweet new life. We were not lacking in visitors that first evening as Matt's grandmothers, Papa, Aunts(Lisa,Lisa, and Cheryl) and Uncles(Skip and Nick) flocked in to see him(Uncle Mike would come the next day as he was watching the boys, Aunt Penny, Jody, and my Aunt Micki would also come to visit). It truly was magical to witness how much love this little boy already had in his life upon arrival.


On top of being surrounded by the people that we love, Wayne gave me the most gorgeous flowers in a stunning vase and a cherished set of earrings that I hope will carry on as a family heirloom in years to come. My flowers were purple and yellow mostly, which are the boys' birthstone colors, and the earrings were made for me with citrine, which is Matt's birthstone.(I was given a pair of amethyst earrings at my baby shower to represent Zach's birthstone) This gifts were so thoughtful, and I felt so appreciated that I couldn't not share them with you.





After two long days in the hospital which were bittersweet in that I finally had my one son to hold, but was unable to be with my other, we finally went home to start our life as a family of five(Lennie too!) When we got there Zach was just waking up from a nap, and was not that thrilled to see me. If I have any advice for Mom's bringing home 2nd children, it's don't expect a movie like moment upon your arrival, just let it be what it is. In our case, Zach was a bit angry that I had left him and refused to come and see me, (he got over it within about 10 minutes, but it was heartbreaking at the time) It took him even longer to be interested in Matt at all. Here he is seeing his brother for the first time. You'll notice Lennie took a lot more interest in our new arrival:



After about a half hour, Zach took some interest in the baby, and we let him hold him for the first time. I love this picture:




And help us feed the baby:



And although for the most part, Zach seems uninterested in his new little bro, He will say, "Hi Baby!" sometimes and flash a dimpled smile in his direction. And on very special and sweet occasions he will sneak in a kiss:




He even embraced looking out for his little brother as he got his first bath:










And although the two of them aren't moving in the same circle just yet. Matt is content, because he knows...that sooner or later, his big brother will grow into being his best friend. (Or so a Mom can dream!)I mean who wouldn't want to hang out with this little cutie? I know I do!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers