Friday, January 15, 2010

Sometimes you just need to let it go...

I am not a clean freak by nature (Much to my husband's disappointment I'm sure!) In truth I used to have piles of clothes lying around my room(used to...can some days be replaced with still do) and I could seriously be happy never having to clean again.(Fortunately I married an ex- Marine, so he does a lot of the cleaning around the house :) )I do have my pet peeves though and one of them is clutter(Anyone who has ever seen the TLC show Hoarders will relate), the other is I can't stand dirty dishes in a sink, the third is a battle these days because I like the toys to be organized. I know that sounds crazy with two kids, but I seriously have a place for every toy. (A little OCD you think?) I used to go down into the basement and put all of the toy kitchen food back together and into it's place, but these days I just manage to throw it back into the baskets and call it a day. That was step one of me letting go. Today I reached another milestone. After playing with his Play Doh for months one color at a time, because God forbid he mix up the colors, I let Zach have whatever color(S) he wanted. And of course this is what I found but a few minutes later:I knew when I was handing him the white, it would never be white again, just as I knew he was bound to mix them all up, and I thought to myself..."Let it go...it's Play Doh!" So I did. I remembered as I watched him, how I would play with Play Doh, my Mom letting me mix up the colors
The concentration on my creation:The molding and shaping of something completely my own:The awe of the possibilities:And of course the surprise at my genius:All of these emotions flooded through my son's face yesterday and I realized there was something a hell of a lot more important being shaped by me than Play Doh these days. It was confirmed when I asked Zach what he was making and he responded, "Strawberries...I'm making strawberries." I don't know about you, but I think he must have one heck of an imagination, because here is what he actually made:A ball you say...no it's definitely "strawberries" around here!

2 comments:

  1. I'm with ya honey. You know I have major O.C.D. I didn't want addie using her water color paints because she was mixing them. But when I just let her go to town...she has a blast. And that is what it is all about isn't it? Watching them learn and discover? Z is such a cutie in all these pictures. I just can't get over his vocabulary. That is so impressive :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm still laughing!! I love all the pictures showing Zach make his amazing strawberry creation. Oh to be young again. Great job mom and Zach

    ReplyDelete

Followers