Wednesday, April 7, 2010

38 years...

I had to postpone my Easter Part II post, to celebrate a very momentus day in my family....the day my parents got married. It strange to think that a day that happened years before you were born shaped your entire life. Ok, maybe not that April day in '72 when it snowed and my Mom wore a slim fitted lacy empire waist gown, and my Dad's hair was styled to look like a young Elvis' do, but all the days that came after.

Here are just a few things my parents have taught me can happen in 38 years:

In thirty eight years...

two twenty year olds can make a good decision
when one partner needs support the other one steps ups
apartment living is not ideal when you have a newborn
Building your dreams takes vision, so I guess it was a good thing you spent so much time looking at houses, and planning for what you wanted.
Family comes first
Friendship is key
you can fight with the passion of a teenager even when your fifty something
you should never go to sleep angry
Tease each other...growing up I didn't understand that you were flirting :)
It doesn't matter if you have to be separated at times, as long as you live your life like your together
Tolerate each other- the things that irked you at 15 are still the traits that irk you at 58, time doesn't change everything.
Silence can be understanding not avoidance
Talk, talk, talk...someone is always listening, not just hearing-Well...in Dad's case now, it's touch and go on what he actually does hear and thereby listen too, Sorry Dad, but your hearing isn't what it used to be! :)
Be Honest about who you are at that moment, we all grow, not just older, but in different ways, as long as you grow together you'll be ok.
Loyalty is core
Love is nurtured in every day- so don't miss a moment of the day your in
Enjoy the things you have built, and do it together
Find the time to escape the pressures of the outside world with each other-albeit trips to Las Vegas can get pricey :)
Laughter is the cure for even the worst argument- and that time only makes them fond memories (potato peels...too soon?)

and of course...

after 38 years hearing Mom say to me this morning, even though you have to be away "Marrying your father was the best decision I ever made." with a look of pure love behind it, makes me feel like 38 more years together wouldn't be enough...then again, I'm pretty sure you two won't be happy with anything less than eternity!

I love you Mom and Dad, HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers