Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Cousins...Identical cousins...

When I was younger I used to love watching Nick at Nite. They showed classics shows like "The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet", "I Dream of Genie", "Mr. Ed" and "The Patty Duke Show". For some reason I loved that show, maybe it was the idea that cousins could look alike and act so different, but still seemed twin like in a way. I think I liked the thought because my sis and I were always like twins in some ways, looking alike, talking alike, but acting very different, but enough alike to keep us bonded like twins. In a way our sons remind me also of that Patty Duke Show type twinship.
As the theme song for the show says: "But they're cousins, Identical cousins all the way. One pair of matching bookends, Different as night and day."

Then later in the song:

"Still, they're cousins, Identical cousins and you'll find, They laugh alike, they walk alike, At times they even talk alike -- You can lose your mind, When cousins are two of a kind!"
(http://www.stlyrics.com/lyrics/televisiontvthemelyrics-50s60s70s/thepattydukeshow.htm)


Looking at Zach and Jack you wouldn't see a resemblance. Where one is dark, the other is fair, but in many ways these two boys are kindred spirits. They squabble, wrestle, and whine with each other, but they adore each other, and defend each other vigorously. It is not uncommon to see them holding hands as they wade through public places, or exchanging a hug just because. These two boys love being together, and usually at least once a day, Zach will ask me where Jack is, or tell me he wants to go see him. I've overheard them say that they are "best buddies" and that they love each other, and yet it always make me smile to see them play together. They have their moments though where one is throwing a fit because the other has something they want, and if you stay out of it, they usually find a way to work it out. It sounds more like I am talking about brothers than cousins, doesn't it? You see the thing is, that Jack and Zach have a bond, they are friends, cousins, and only time will tell how their bond will grow. I am happy for Jack that he will have my boys as he grows up, but I am also so pleased that they have him. He is such a jokester, one of the smartest kids I've ever known, and he is loyal to a fault, I know that Jack will always look out for his little cousins.

Last week Zach was in heaven...he got to see his cousin Jack almost every single day, since my sister was on Spring break. The week started with a play date, many trips to my Mom's for fun at Grandma's and then later in the week we went to a local Children's Museum. The two of them had a blast, they especially loved the construction zone. (Matt thought it was a bit loud for his sensitive ears :) )I kept joking to my Mom and Sister that I could see them with their own company in twenty years "Cousins Construction". (WARNING THE AMOUNT OF PHOTOS YOU ARE ABOUT TO SEE ARE NOT FOR THE FAINT OF HEART!)














They also enjoyed fishing with Grandma(Matty even got in the boat for awhile), and traveling in the haul of a big ocean liner. Unfortunately, Zach's porthole was taking on water(hence the pout) while Jack enjoyed staying dry:


Both boys enjoyed etching artifacts with Aunt Lisa(and Princess E) and picking peas pods, they even enjoyed gathering apples together from the apple tree.



And even though they love being together, Zach and Jack did part ways for a few moments. Zach enjoyed tending to the chickens, wearing a sombrero, being shocked to find fish living in bubbles, and rocking out with his xylophone drum sticks.



During this time, I think Jack was putting on a puppet show, dressing in African robes, and playing with windmills. (I didn't get pics of that though since I was obviously tailing Zach at the time)

So to make a long post short...we had a fabulous week with you Aunt Lisa, Jack and Grandma. We can't wait for school to be out, and for the 4th installment to our extended family to arrive!

1 comment:

  1. I love that they are so close! I want nothing less than that for my kids. My first nephew is about a year and a half and my second one was just born in March... Looks like its our turn! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Followers