Thursday, March 25, 2010

To Blog or Not to Blog?...That is the question.

When I was in 6th grade my mother gave me a diary for my 6th grade choral concert. I still have that diary upstairs. It's a time capsule of my thoughts from the time I was 10 till almost my 21st birthday. It is a glimpse into the girl I was, and the woman I would become. Strangely, when the pages ran out I got another diary. In the 10 years I've had it, I've written only of major events like the time I met my husband, our first kiss, the moment we got engaged, the weddings of my siblings, my wedding, the news I was going to be an aunt, and the news I was going to be a mother. Since I had Zach two years ago I think I have opened the diary once or twice,(Of course one of those times was to report I was pregnat with Matt) and each time I wonder why do I continue to write?

Writing is such a cathartic process for me. I've written letters I've never sent, to the men that broke my heart, and reminders and reflections of where I've been so I can learn from them. I've written lists of goals for my life, I've written poems, and stories, and a thousand comments on my students' papers. During both of my pregnancies, I wrote journals to my sons, and every year for their birthdays I will write them letters from my heart. I treasure words the way an archaeologist might revel in their latest find, and for a similar reason. By reading words from the past, we find value in the present and hope for the future. Corny, maybe...but words are powerful.

When I think of what words have given me, I want to sit down, write a book, enlighten others, and earn the distinction of a voice worthy to be remembered. In a way, isn't that what we all want, to be heard, to be valued, knowing that what we gave in our time here was worthy of remembering. So what does this have to do with blogging? Well...my husband asks me, why do you write? No one is leaving you comments?

And I guess if I was writing to merit comments, I would probably have given up long ago. I do have some loyal followers, mostly people who have come to me through writing, ironically, people who I've never even met, and yet our words serve as our connection. I don't market my blog, I don't tell all my family and friends about it, in fact many of my closest friends, colleagues, and family members don't know the address. In a way it is my diary now. A place I go to voice my thoughts, my memories so that one day if I can't remember anymore, I can go to this archive and see my sons as boys, know what I was thinking, feeling, marveling at. I want to remember that even though I am at home, instead of in my classroom, I am learning, and teaching not only my children but myself as well. Of course I hope at some point that the people who come to my blog find connection to my words, to my journey, to my story because I know that blogging and reading blogs has only confirmed for me that words have the power to connect us all.

So to blog or not to blog? Well... maybe not every day, maybe not forever, but definitely for now.

5 comments:

  1. Well said my dear...well said. I started blogging as both an outlet for my writing, and a way of journaling my life. I started with one follower...my mom :-) Then the girls from the board started reading, then some family caught on, and so on and so on. Now I have a group of ladies that comment almost everyday and I honestly feel like they are my friends (yourself included :-) What I have realized over these last two years of blogging is that we all start with the same intentions...wanting to share our lives and our stories. But blogging has become so much more for me. Its where I go when I need advice, encouragement, support, inspiration, ect. My husband laughs when I say this, but blogging has really changed my life! Geez...talk about corny right? Ha! But I guess the point of my ginormous comment is that I understand whole heartedly why you continue to blog and I really hope you never stop because I love reading about your precious family :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jen...I also feel like I have gained so much from reading your blog. Most recently you have motivated me to start really trying to lose my baby weight! I can't wait to zip all of my pre-pregnancy jeans...plus I need to get going if I am going to fit into any of my summer clothes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was so thankful to come across three new posts tonight!!! :) I try to check every other day or so... but I ALWAYS am checking from my handy phone and the word verification tool on the commenting makes it VERY tricky to comment from my phone. So, if you don't see my comments its NOT because I'm not reading, I PROMISE! I just rarely ever get on a REAL computer. But, while driving home from working until close at the bar tonight (while Hubbs drove... of course) and I read this post your Hubbs' comment broke my heart!!! I had to get on here (its 3:30am!) to comment ASAP!!!

    I just want to say that I love reading your blog! I found you through Jen who I found through my SIL's blog which incidentally, I don't follow anymore. Ha! But, I fell in love with Jen's blog not only because she's fantastic (duh!) but because of the authenticity of her blog. She is not perfect and she does not attempt to make people believe that she is. I love that she swears every once in a while without being raunchy and I love posts like her most recent one where she admits that there are moments that she takes her life for granted (and quickly snaps back to reality!) You and Jen both have given me insight into what it is going to be like when someday (HOPEFULLY BEFORE I TURN OLD AND GRAY!) I become a Mommy. I plan to ask advice of you mommy bloggers and will reflect back on your posts! By the way, if I have sleep issues, you're who I'm coming to!!! :)

    Too many blogs (IMHO) are out there to push this or that, make money on this or that, display (or gloat IMO) about what they have and blah blah blah. My favorite blogs continue to be those that are true to what they are writing for and acknowledge their readers! You are making a virtual journal of your life and that is beautiful! :) I also love your blog because it's not extra fancy. I do envy your monthly header/background changes though! :) My little old blog is literally neglected as I have so much else going on in my life and I spend the time I do have on here to comment on other people's blogs! HA! I started my own because I felt like I know so much about the few blogs that I comment on all the time but yet they didn't have the same opportunity to know me.

    Anyway, I hope I made my point... this post is so true about how connecting people that you literally would never have connected with is made possible!!! Keep bloggin' lady! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, and I'm on the WW wagon also. I'm just not quite so public with my numbers. I've been *really trying* for 2 weeks and have lost 3 lbs. Um, only 3? Sheesh. Anyway, I'm trying for 20 before July. You can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chelsi- Thank you so much for your kindness. I also love Jen's blog for the same reasons. It is so tough to keep up with the blog world, but at the same time so rewarding. When you do become a Mommy, I am sure you will rock at it, since you are so nurturing in your words. I really appreciate you taking the time to read my stories...and I am no expect on sleep advice, but I will do my best to help! Congrats on the 3 pounds...it's better to lose than to gain them :)

    ReplyDelete

Followers