Sunday, December 12, 2010

Calling all Griswolds...

I don't know what it is but my new neighborhood is lacking in the Christmas decor. I mean seriously it is pretty weak around here. Maybe it's just me, but when I was a kid I remember most houses filled with lights in the windows, wreaths on the door and plastic Santas. I do have to say I am a little pleased that the plastic Santa's have seen a decline in the last few years since I find the lighted lawn decor so much more pleasant. I will not lie though I did love climbing out of my Mom's bedroom window to put our platic reindeer and Santa set on the roof. It just always felt so realistic!


Lights twinkling in the night...there is nothing so pretty to me. It just makes this season feel special and magical. So imagine my disappointment that only 5 or so other houses on the block have any significant lights up. I mean seriously people...no candles in the windows, no lights in the trees, not one iota of Christmas?


In the lone darkness of my street, my house feels like it looks like this:

My neighbors must think of me as a little bit eccentric, a little bit over the top. In reality, or my reality, my house is tastefully Griswold. There are so many more lights Iwould have loved to put up. I would love to run the lights along the roofline, add them to the wreath on the door, hang a lit wreath in wach window, find a way to put lights in the arched window in my foyer(and closet), run lit garland up the front staircase...you know do it big! Instead I ended up with this:
See...I could use more lights don't you think? If you are a Griswold, let me know. Is it just my neighborhood this year that looks like the Grinch visited early and stole all the decorations, or are you all in the same boat? Where did all the Christmas spirit go? Talk to me people!

2 comments:

  1. Your house looks BEAUTIFUL Amy!! Our neighborhood is sort of lacking too. I blame it on the weather around here though. It has been unseasonably cold and snowy so I wonder if people just haven't had the opportunity to put lights up. I know that is out excuse :-) But hey...at least your house is the prettiest on the block!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does look great! I think you could go a little further without being too griswoldy. I like when there are lights along the roofline too. I would love to do more, but the hubby isn't very into it. We only have our inside tree, a wreath and a couple poinsettias this year but maybe next year we can get a little more into the spirit! Our neighbors haven't done much either, but I remember some awesome places when I was a kid. I am actually trying to find a neighborhood with good lights to take Liam too (he LOVES lights) but haven't been able to find one around here. Too bad you're not closer! :o)

    ReplyDelete

Followers