Thursday, December 23, 2010

Christmas Traditions...

I think what I love best about Christmas is the memories. Its the warmth of Christmas' of the past, the excitement of the present Christmas, and the hope for the future ones that touch the season.

Like all families we have traditions. Just the fact that I can say that brings a smile to my face. How lucky am I that I have parents, siblings, a spouse, and children that uphold those traditions, my traditions, our traditions.

Here are some of our traditions:

1. Every year as children my parents would take the time to drive us past houses(Usually on Christmas Eve) to see Christmas lights. We would listen to Christmas carols on the radio and talk and laugh. This is a tradition I continue with the boys and probably will for as long as I can get them in the car to go!

2. My mother(and father) always gives me new pajamas on X-mas Eve. ALWAYS(I love it!)! I also always got a new stuffed animal that night too, but a few years ago, my mother and I agreed that aspect probably needed to end. (This is a tradition, I carry on in my house. Tomorrow, Zach and Matt will both be getting new pj's and a stuffed animal)

3. When I lived at home, my Mom and I would make cut outs together. She would let me roll the dough, cut the cookies, and then we would decorate. Although we don't do this together every year anymore, I still make cut outs and now I have two little helpers of my own!

4. Santa always got a plate of cookies and milk. The reindeers always got some carrots and a bowl of water. Come Christmas morning, those cookies would be eaten, and those carrots would be nibbled. This year, Zach will put those snacks out, and for as long as I can cloak the holiday in magic, a plate of cookies and carrots will be eaten come morning!

5. We used to attend Church on Christmas eve. Midnight mass...such a beautiful experience. Looking back I cherished the peacefulness of that night, and the unity it created. I am sure at the time I wasn't as appreciative as I should have been, but my Mom and Dad always strived to remind us the gift wasn't what we would find under the tree the next morning, but the love that was given to make it possible for everlasting life. This is one tradition, I haven't managed to work in just yet. First my boys are usually in bed well before midnight, and I am not sure Wayne or I can stay up that late anymore either. One day though I'd like to get back there, because it truly is the meaning of the holiday.

6. For the last 20 years my parents have a BIG party on Christmas day. Both sides of my extended family converge, and we eat, drink, laugh and cherish what we are blessed to have all around us...Family and love. We've seen so many babies come through those doors, and sadly we've lost some key players in the last few years. I know one day those parties will end, but those memories...oh the memories...never.

Just like:

Christmas morning when my brother wouldn't get out of bed, or would hoard his gifts till the end, my sister and I badgering him to get up so we could open our gifts(teen years). So funny now.

Waking up to my Mom downstairs in her robe and slippers(Christmas music softly playing) and that cherished first glimpse of the presents, pristine, under the tree.

My Dad, barely awake, probably from putting gizmo's together all evening, lying on the couch, slippers on, smiling.

My Mom passing out the gifts, her eyes twinkling as she saw her hard work come together.

My sister and I savoring our stockings, trying to keep up with each other, so we could share in each others excitement.(Stockings...also a tradition)

The dogs, getting their own treats be it Fluff, Bear, Wolfie, or now Lennie, and them taking off to eat or hide their new toy or bone.

Sleeping in the same bed with my brother and sister as a kid, all of us falling asleep talking about Santa and our hopes for what the morning will hold.

Wayne and I talking for the last week about this first "real" Christmas of Zach's. His reaction that morning, and our excitement for him to believe.

Putting up the tree, savoring the ornaments, where they came from, the stories they hold. Lisa and I used to do this as kids, Wayne and I do this now as adults.

My brother and I playing our newest video game together Christmas morning.

My Dad shaking all of his presents and telling you what was inside them before he's even opened them.

Wayne giving me my gifts early because he is just too excited to wait.

Zach asking me every night before he goes to sleep to tell him about Santa and his sleigh.

Matt's eyes as he looks at the lights on the tree, and tried to Houdini his way to touch the ornaments.(I can't wait till next year when he can share Z's wonder)

My joy, at feeling so loved, in childhood, in adulthood, and the sheer pleasure I have of knowing I am fortunate enough to give my sons aspects of the childhood I not only dreamed, but was blessed to live.

To all of you readers, enjoy your traditions whatever they may be. The beauty of the season is that the sweetest memory may just be seconds aways. Have a Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers