Thursday, February 25, 2010

Anticipation and My Parents...

Tomorrow is Zach's 2nd birthday! I know every mother says this, but I can't believe he is two years old! I am so excited for tomorrow, maybe even more excited than I was at Christmas to see his reaction. You see...I know something Zach doesn't know and it is going to totally blow his mind. How do I know? Well I'm 31 and it blows mine. This surprise comes from a very special place...my parent's heart and my mother's love of "doing it big". I love that my Mom relishes childhood so much, and I know today, as I have all the days before, that I was the luckiest kid in the world to be born to the parents I have. Did they spoil me? Sure sometimes. Do they spoil my sons? Yes..all the time, but it isn't just about the gifts they give its about the people they are to them.



Growing up...I never wanted to be older...I never wanted to leave my parents. This might be why I was 22 before I moved out, and was back by 23 and stayed till I was married. (Did I mention I'm going back in June till the house is ready?...talk about love, accepting a family of five(Lennie too) into your home) I could tell you I stayed till I was married to save money, which I did, but really it was because that was the place I was the happiest, the place that I felt complete. As a parent I really want to give my sons that same feeling of home. A place where they thrive because they are loved, and the knowledge that they are never ever on their own. I also want them to feel the magic of a parent(s) who cherishes them and their childhood, who sacrifices for them and never throws it in their face. I want them to love me the way I love my parents, because if they do, I will be loved so completely it makes my heart want to burst at the thought.



I will devout myself to trying to create a childhood for my sons that would do my parent's success justice. I feel so blessed though that they are just as involved in cherishing my sons' childhood as they were mine. It makes our job a bit easier knowing that they have three grandparents who adore them. It makes life interesting that my Mom, particularly, loves to create magical moments. It is her magic that has broached time...crossing from my youth into Zach's and now Matt's. Whatever could she be doing that has invoked this much buildup?



Well folks... at the mention of a bounce house idea for Z, my Mom said, "Let me get it." I was thinking of something small for the backyard. What my Mom opted for was just a bit more grand...generous but not shocking. She settled on this beauty:

And while that is ultra exciting in it's own right. The greatest part of the gift is that my Mom completely reconfigured her family room this evening, so she can blow it up for Zach to enjoy on his birthday. Can you imagine? I can't wait to see his face, and although he might not "remember" it, the memory of what his grandparents did/do to make him happy will last a lifetime. I am the luckiest Momma in the world because I have two beautiful sons, a loving husband, and parents that continue to teach me about embracing this life!

I will be sure to post pics of Z enjoying his bouncy house as soon as possible!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers