Saturday, July 18, 2009

The Matt Effect...or should I say "Mat" Effect!


Did I mention I can be obsessive about certain things? For some pregnant woman this obsession is cleaning their homes, cooking elaborate meals, or decorating every room in their house...well for me its needlepoint. Now I am not normally a crafty individual, I don't know how to sew or knit, but a few years back (10 in fact) I decided to needlepoint. A close friend of mine found out she was having a baby and I wanted to do something special for her daughter. I needle pointed her name and had it framed to hang in her nursery. Ever since I have needle pointed the name of my best friend Jody's first born son, my nephew Jack's name, and finally my first born son's name, Zachary.

It was such a wonderful experience creating something special for these little people that I decided I must continue the tradition with Matthew. So off Z and I went to Jo Ann Fabrics to gather the threads we would need and I began that very same night. Ever since then when Zach sleeps I needlepoint, which hasn't left a lot of time for blogging. There is something so connecting in creating a special gift for my son, and with each thread I knot I picture his face, his first steps, his laugh. I may not be a professional by any means, and he may want to hide it in his basement when he's grown, but for today, I needle his name and hope for his future. In just under two weeks I have finished three letters. (Only four left to stitch, don't worry it's not crooked like it looks in the pic!):


And since I don't want anyone confusing my son's name with a mat on the floor, here is an extra T:


I'll be changing the letters color on the next T I stitch to green just so they are a bit different. So I apologize for my blogging absence, but like I've said I'm obsessed. Until I finish this little masterpiece I am consumed, then I am off to get it framed and to prepare M's room for him. I know he isn't due till November, but if Zach's taught me anything this last year, its that once you have a child, time just flies. Lets hope that effect doesn't work exponentially, otherwise these two will be grown in what will feel like a few years! You veteran parents are probably thinking...yeah, but there will be days that seem like they take forever to get through, and with two kids under two I expect my share of those. Lets be honest though, its those days that make you appreciate all the others.





I will do my best to be diligent this week in posting and catching you all up on the fun we've had. I would like to share a few pictures of two of my favorite boys playing in the park:





2 comments:

  1. Wow, you are really talented, Amy. Those letters look amazing! Did you do them free-hand or use a pattern or...? I can't wait to see how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the compliment. I follow a pattern in a book I bought years ago. It is a lot of counting, and I hate math, but my boys are worth it:) I will be sure to post the completed piece!

    ReplyDelete

Followers