Tuesday, April 7, 2009

A day to Celebrate!

Thirty-seven years ago today my parents said "I do". There is something so beautiful about trying to picture that day when my "baby" aged parents took that oath. Growing up, my sister and I loved to look at the pictures of my parent's wedding day; filled with my father's mop of brown hair and Elvis like sideburns, and my mother's sparkling blue eyes and her hair in ringlets. There was something so wonderful about seeing their love for each other on that day, seeing them as the icon of what we wanted one day.



I've been blessed for the last thirty years to watch the power of that day, that moment, as it sped by from one day in April across thirty-seven years. (Obviously, I didn't see them all) And in that time I can honestly say that my parents have always loved each other, even if they aren't sickeningly all lovey-dovey all the time, like in those early images.



Instead, I've seen the beauty of support, as my parents stand together. My siblings and I have known their sacrifice, whether it was putting us first, or putting their feelings aside. I have watched as my parents have embraced each other, teased each other, or, yes...even screamed at each other and through it all I've seen love. Thirty-seven years of ups, downs, and move arounds, and they still send glances across the room, hold hands, and listen...well most of the time. But the thing I admire most about their love is that they dream together, always have, and that they laugh together, maybe not as easily, but still often, and most importantly they grow together. They have both achieved such great things in such different ways and yet they remain united, more today than that wedding day in April. They've been the heroes to three children, the welcoming in-laws to three children in-law and the adoring grandparents to two beautiful boys. They have taken an oath as two people and grown it to encompass ten(and counting...) and they have defined what love is all about.



So today, I want to celebrate my parents, who are each other's best friends, and mine, and I want them to know how proud I am that they've shown me love. It wasn't until I was a parent that I understood how much I am a reflection; not only of those two kids who said "I do", but of the millions of moments they chose each other and their marriage along the way. I can honestly say that in loving each other, you've loved us all! We love you!



Here is one of the only pics I have...sorry unless its Zach apparently I don't take pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers